Creative Writing students explore writing techniques through practice, group discussion, and individual critiquing sessions with faculty. Emphasis is placed on developing a keen awareness of the sound, shape, and connotative possibilities of the written word. Various types of creative writing may be explored, but there will be a strong emphasis on poetry. Applicants should be aware that class discussions are on a collegiate level and may contain mature subject matter. Up to 16 students are accepted.
Writers with strong storytelling abilities and an interest in filmmaking are encouraged to audition for both film & video and creative writing.
Requirements for Applicants
1. Create an account and complete an online application. (If you have applied to OSAI before, you can log in to an existing account.)
2. Read the guidelines below.
3. Choose up to five pages of your creative writing to submit. (See Writing Submission Guidelines below.)
4. Create up to three additional pages of writing, incorporating the required elements. (See Writing Submission Guidelines below.)
5. Log back in to your online account to upload your writing submissions (up to five pages of previously written work + up to three pages of work written for this audition) no later than noon on Friday, March 19. Word document and PDF uploads are limited to 160 MB.
Writing Submission Requirements
Your writing submission must contain no more than 8 pages of your creative writing (up to 5 previously written pages + up to 3 pages written with required audition elements). Applicants who submit more than 5 pages of previously written work and/or more than 3 pages of audition writing will be disqualified.
Work created for this audition (up to 3 pages) must contain the following three elements: a color of your choice, a fruit or vegetable of your choice, and rain. While these elements do not need to be the central basis for your writing, you must thoughtfully incorporate them into your work. Avoid introducing these three things in a superficial or offhanded way.
Requirements for all writing submissions:
- May be any combination of poetry, fiction, personal essay, and/or an excerpt from a longer work.
- Must have been written AFTER March 1 of prior year. (Former OSAI students may not submit work written at OSAI.)
- All writing must be in a single typed document, in 12-point font and saved as either .pdf or .doc.
- .pdf is preferred; .doc is acceptable.
- The first three pages should be your audition writing with the required elements; the final pages (up to 5) should be your previously written work.
- Ensure your name or other identifying information are NOT included in your writing submission.
- Once you are ready to submit your writing portfolio, do not worry about the file name. The OSAI application portal will automatically rename the file for you.
Focus on quality over quantity; it is better to have a finely crafted two-stanza poem or a one-page short story than to submit eight pages of mediocre writing.
Be thoughtful when incorporating the required elements (a color, fruit or vegetable, rain) into your audition writing. While one or all three of these things do not have to be the central focus of your writing, you should avoid sticking them in haphazardly with little connection to the story you are trying to convey.
Read the judging criteria below to see exactly what the writing judges will be looking for in your submission!