Dance students will receive an intensive education with five hours of daily classes and rehearsals in both ballet and modern dance; therefore, students must be adaptable to both styles. Instruction will include advanced ballet and modern technique, variations, and repertoire. Other forms of dance, partnering/pas de deux class, composition, improvisation, and supplemental classes or seminars may also be incorporated into instructional sessions at the discretion of the instructor(s). Students will rehearse for and dance in a final performance at the conclusion of OSAI. Twenty dance students are accepted.
Requirements for Applicants
1. Complete an online application and schedule your audition no later than noon the weekday before your desired audition date. See dates in right side bar or view full audition schedule here. Audition spaces fill quickly, so schedule as soon as possible.
2. Bring a government-issued I.D. or birth certificate to your audition for age verification purposes.
3. Read guidelines below to prepare for your audition class.
4. Arrive at your audition at least 15 minutes early to check in and warm up.
What to Expect at Your Audition
The audition is a 2-hour master class consisting of one hour of ballet, followed by one hour of modern dance. The dance studio will be open 30 minutes prior to the assigned start time.
The ballet portion of the audition will consist of a traditional ballet barre and center exercises. Due to time constraints, pointe exercises will not be given during the audition class. (Upon acceptance, attending students will be asked about their pointe training which will be passed on to OSAI instructor(s) to inform lesson plans.)
The modern portion of the audition will consist of warm-up, center combinations, movement phrases across the floor, and improvisation. Applicants will be given a prompt for the improvisation portion of the audition.
- Dance auditions occur after the long winter break. Please take as many technique classes as possible during the break so you are at your best. Judges will be looking for dancers who are versatile, so you are encouraged to take a variety of classes in preparation for your audition.
- Arrive at the audition early so you may become familiar with the studio, check in, prepare, and warm up.
- Dancewear requirements are specified below. Plan your dancewear well in advance of the audition. Wear it for a technique class prior to the audition to be certain it is comfortable and flattering. You want to present a neat, professional appearance.
- Before the audition, please tell the instructor about any recent or chronic injuries so they can help you take appropriate precautions and inform the audition judges.
- During the audition, if you don’t understand a combination or direction, raise your hand and ask the instructor to repeat the information.
- Approach the audition as an opportunity to take a class from a new teacher. The teacher and the judges realize you may be a bit nervous. They want to see your movement and performance qualities, as well as your technique, so enjoy the experience!
Mandatory Audition Attire
Black leotards, pink or skin tone transition tights and soft shoes, long hair pulled back and secured off the face. For the modern portion of the audition, you will dance barefoot.
White t-shirt, black transition tights, black shoes, long hair pulled back and secured off the face. For the modern portion of the audition, you will dance barefoot.
• Ballet technique – 25%
• Modern dance technique – 25%
• Musicality – 15%
• Retention of choreography – 10%
• Disposition/personal appearance – 10%
• Artistry – 15%
Download the Conflict of Interest form dance judges sign.
Funding for the Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute dance program is generously provided, in part, by the ConocoPhillips and Kerr Foundation Dance Endowment Funds.