Dance students will receive an intensive education with five hours of daily classes and rehearsals in both ballet and modern dance; therefore, students must be adaptable to both styles. Instruction will include advanced ballet and modern technique, variations, and repertoire. Other forms of dance, partnering/pas de deux class, composition, improvisation, and supplemental classes or seminars may also be incorporated into instructional sessions at the discretion of the instructor(s). Students will rehearse for and dance in a final performance at the conclusion of OSAI. Up to 20 dance students are accepted.
Requirements for Applicants
1. Create an account and complete an online application. (If you have applied to OSAI before, you can log in to an existing account.)
2. Read the guidelines and tips below to prepare your audition video. Watch the provided videos to learn the required combinations and familiarize yourself with the solo prompts described below.
3. Create a video of yourself performing the required ballet combinations, the required modern dance combinations, and the two 30-second solos based on the required prompts. Video uploads are limited to 1 GB.
4. Log back in to your online account to upload your audition video no later than noon on Friday, March 19.
Dance Audition Components & Requirements
Plies, tendus, rond de jambes, and developpes at the barre
Degages, frappes, grand battements at the barre
Tombes, lunges, drop swings
Tendus, contractions, hinges
Grand battements and triplets across the floor
Jumps and floor work
Two contrasting 30-second solos (to be performed in a single take)
Mandatory Audition Attire
Dancewear requirements are specified below. Applicants are expected to present a neat, professional appearance.
Black leotards, pink or skin tone transition tights and long hair pulled back and secured off the face. For the ballet combinations, wear soft shoes. For the modern dance combinations, bare feet are required. Either bare feet or soft shoes are acceptable for the solos. (No socks, please!)
White t-shirt, black transition tights, long hair pulled back and secured off the face. For the ballet combinations, black shoes are required. For the modern dance combinations, bare feet are required. Either bare feet or ballet shoes are acceptable for the solos. (Please do not dance in socks, unless you are wearing them with your ballet shoes.)
Video Recording Guidelines and Tips
Face the primary light souce in your room/studio (e.g. a window) to ensure you are well lit from the front. The darkest part of the room should be behind you.
- Position your camera so that your entire body is visible for the duration of the video.
- If possible, position your camera at eye level; too low or too high may skew the judges' perspective of your body.
- For barre work, the camera should record your profile (from one side). For center combinations, the camera should record you from the front.
You may create separate videos for each component of the audition, but they should be spliced together to create a single video before submitting. Your final video should be approximately 10 minutes long. Each audition component should be unedited. (I.e., the ballet and modern dance combinations can each be shot separately; the solos should be shot in a single take.) Please do not add filters, text or other effects or unnecessary edits to your recording. If you are recording with a phone, Videoshop is a free, easy-to-use video editing app available for iOS and Android devices.
Once you are ready to submit your audition video, do not worry about your file name. The OSAI application portal will automatically rename the file for you.
As previously stated, if you need help finding a suitable location in which to create your audition video, if you need assistance in compiling your footage into a single recording, or if you do not have access to adequate technology for recording or uploading your audition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 405.605.7500.