The Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute Orchestra is a full symphony orchestra. All participants rehearse with professional orchestral musicians under the direction of internationally recognized conductors. The daily schedule includes full orchestra rehearsals as well as individual and sectional coaching. Repertoire consists of standard and contemporary symphonic literature. Students may also participate in chamber music and ensemble work. The orchestra performs two concerts during the Institute, and the chamber music ensembles will have one evening performance.
Students may NOT audition on the following instruments: English horn, piccolo, saxophone, contrabassoon, bass clarinet, E-flat clarinet, bass trombone, or euphonium (baritone).
Requirements for Applicants
1. Complete an online application and schedule your audition no later than noon the weekday before your desired audition date. See dates in right side bar or view full audition schedule here. Audition spaces fill quickly, so schedule as soon as possible.
2. Bring a government-issued I.D. or birth certificate to your audition for age verification purposes.
3. Read below guidelines to prepare your audition.
4. Arrive at your audition at least 15 minutes early to check in and warm up.
You must bring the following items:
- Bring a copy of your selected solo piece to give to the facilitator. (OAI will retain this copy; you will not receive it back after the audition. Please do not include your name anywhere on the copy.)
The audition consists of 4 components.
- Play the following scale at a tempo that’s comfortable for you. Playing with or without vibrato will have no effect on your score.
– Violin, Viola, and Cello: 3-octave major scale
– Double bass: 2-octave major scale
– Winds and brass: 2-octave chromatic scale
– Percussion and Harp: scales not required. Please see instrument-specific guidelines below.
2. Solo Piece
- All applicants must perform a work, maximum of one minute, which represents overall musicianship. The work does NOT have to be memorized, but should demonstrate your ability to play lyrically and technically. The work can be a solo, etude, All-State etude, or excerpt from an orchestral work. NO accompanists.
- Applicants must provide a copy of the work performed for the audition.
- Percussionists must prepare a two- or four-mallet solo that can be performed on a marimba. A variety of repertoire is acceptable and applicants should select a piece they are comfortable playing.
3. Instrument-Specific Excerpt
- All applicants must perform the excerpt selected for their instrument. Select your instrument title below to download a copy of the required excerpt.
- To request a hard copy of the excerpt, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 405.605.7500.
- Strings: fingerings marked are required.
- Violas: in double-stop sections, play the top note only.
- Violins: All measures marked to play with one bow should be split evenly into two bows. Any measure that is marked with more than one bow should be played as written.
- Each applicant will have 45 seconds to review the sight-reading before performing the music.
- Percussionists will sight-read on snare, marimba, and timpani. After reviewing the timpani music, you will have an additional 30 seconds to tune the instrument before playing the sight-reading.
- Harpists will not sight-read.
PERCUSSIONISTS PLEASE NOTE: All percussion instruments will be provided, but please bring your own sticks, mallets, and a tuning fork or pitch pipe to tune the timpani. (These items will NOT be provided at the audition.) Electronic tuners are NOT allowed. You may bring your own snare drum if desired. We cannot guarantee that the instruments provided at each location will be adjustable. If you need special accommodations, please email email@example.com or call 405.605.7500.
Strings, brass, woodwinds
• Scale - 5%
• Solo - 10%
• Excerpt - 10%
• Sight Reading - 25%
• Tone - 12.5%
• Technique - 12.5%
• Rhythm - 12.5%
• Intonation - 12.5%
• Marimba etude - 15%
• Marimba tone - 6.67%
• Marimba technique - 6.67%
• Marimba rhythm - 6.66%
• Snare etude - 15%
• Snare tone - 6.67%
• Snare technique - 6.67%
• Snare rhythm - 6.66%
• Marimba sight reading - 10%
• Snare sight reading - 10%
• Timpani sight reading - 10%
Auditions are blind and will be audio recorded for adjudication at a later date. Since you will not be interacting with judges at your audition, please feel free to wear comfortable/casual attire.
PLEASE NOTE: OSAI audition scores may be used to determine chamber music or orchestra part assignments, so prepare for your OSAI audition accordingly.
Funding for the Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute orchestra program is generously provided, in part, by the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation Orchestra Endowment Fund.